|Home||Local Vendors||Wedding Statistics||Bridal Shows||Wedding Planning||free use of articles||Submit An Article||Contact Us|
Write An Apology To Your Spouse: How to Apologize In a Way That Really Works For You
Being apologetic doesn't come easily for me. Unfortunately, being inconsiderate and self-centered does. So I realized long ago that my marital survival would depend on two things: 1) learning to apologize and 2) becoming less selfish and more considerate.
It was easier to start with apologies. Over time I got better and better at learning how to apologize. I was amazed at the effect.
First, it was the basic mumbling of, "I'm sorry." Those two words were remarkable in healing bruised feelings. It was as if I had a license to do what I wanted-- as long as I looked sincere and said, "I'm sorry." It was like having a "Get out of jail free" Monopoly card.
When my apology failed to produce the desired results, I spruced it up. I would put my apology in a tuxedo, and my wife would be so grateful that I would get another reprieve.
Given my personality, I had lots of opportunity to practice making apologies. Ultimately I created a formula. It's for the bigger offenses or for smaller offenses that you have repeated so often they've created a lot of tension with your spouse.
Five Step Formula For a Really Good Apology
1. Describe your offense. This is necessary so your partner knows exactly what you're apologizing for.
2. Describe what you think is the effect on your partner. This display of empathy is comforting to the other person.
3. Describe why you did what you did. This reassures your spouse that you're on top of the problem and reduces their need to nag you about it.
4. Describe why you're interested in changing the offensive behavior. This demonstrates an understanding of the big picture that as couple you're a team.
5. Describe a self imposed penalty for not changing. This one is the clincher. Think of an appropriate penalty for your offensive behavior, and tell it to your spouse. Tell them that if you don't change you will impose the penalty on yourself. This reassures them that you mean business.
I encourage people to write their apology. Writing it out first or writing it and then giving it to your mate has several advantages:
1. You can collect and refine your thoughts. It is very difficult to think through an apology on the fly, especially if your angry partner is on the offensive.
2. You will be heard all the way through. Nobody will interrupt and start yelling at a spouse when they are reading an apology.
3. You avoid the hostile questions that often interrupt you when you start speaking the apology. These negative questions have the nasty effect of derailing your good intentions and then you just have another argument which demands another apology.
4. You avoid the raised eyebrows and squinting eyes during the apology which just derail you again. (See the last sentence in number 3.)
5. It looks like you have given this some serious thought (which might even be true).
6. You don't have to sleep on the couch tonight.
Putting It All Together
1. Honey, I've been thinking about your comments that I don't follow through consistently when I say I'll do something. I apologize for that.
2. Being inconsistent means you can never be sure whether I will follow through or not. I imagine it keeps you on edge and wondering if you should "remind" me or not. If you don't speak up you run the risk that I won't follow through and then it is too late to take corrective action. If you do speak up, you run the risk of coming across like a nag.
3. I hate to admit it, but when I agree to something, sometimes it's just to get you off my back. I think, "well, I'll do it if I get time." But if it's something I really don't want to do, often I simply don't make the time. I'm also unreliable when my priorities collide with yours--and my priorities too often prevail. This means I really haven't thought much about us being a true team where we can each count on the other to follow through.
4. I actually have some interest in improving my reliability. I would feel more aligned with my higher intentions about being a good partner, and we could probably have more fun together.
5. Finally, I want you to get off my back as a policeman to make sure I follow through. Both of us will feel better about that. So when I don't follow through or give you a timely warning (stuff does happen) then I will work on cleaning the garage the following weekend for at least two hours every time I blow it.
May all your apologies be little ones.
For more than 20 years, Peter Pearson, Ph.D. has specialized in helping couples transform their relationships. He and his wife, Dr. Ellyn Bader, are founders and directors of The Couples Institute in Menlo Park, CA. Authors, speakers, and therapists, they have been featured on over 50 radio and television programs including "The Today Show" and "CBS Early Morning News." Their book, "Tell Me No Lies," includes some helpful insights about apologies. For more information or to order, visit The Couples Institute.
Sending Out Your Wedding Invitations
It really doesn't matter if you are planning to have a large or a small wedding; you still have to send out invitations. For larger wedding parties, you should buy your invitations at bulk party stores, or wedding warehouses in order to get the best buy for your money. Of course, you can always choose to make your own invitations which is also nice and unique.
Online Wedding Dress Shopping!
Taking the hassle out of finding your perfect and unique wedding dress.
Negotiation Strategies Especially for Couples
These guidelines will help you avoid the three most common negotiating mistakes couples make: 1) Failure to prepare before the negotiation with your partner; 2) Caving in too quickly to avoid tension or to keep the peace; and 3) Stubbornly pushing too hard for your own solution.
Ten Ways to Have an Irish Wedding
Honor your Emerald Isle heritage with traditions that are romantic, clever, and a couple that are downright strange. Uncover here how to fill your wedding with all things Irish save the Blarney Stone.
Cheating Wives - Play with Your Lives!
Many wives cheat on their husbands. This could be due to the fact that the husband does not give much of his time to his wife. The husband is usually the bread winner in a family and spends most of his time at work. This is especially so when a husband is self-employed and works for himself. His time becomes more important to him to work as he needs to make money for the family to survive.
10 Valentines Day Tips for Spouses Who Want to Improve Their Marriage
The best and most valuable gifts are often not material ones. While many spouses focus on Valentine's Day gifts such as jewelry or candy, spouses who are willing to invest the time and energy can give one of the most precious gifts possible-an improved, satisfying marriage.
Business Partners & Marital Partners Will The Marriage Survive - Part II
In the last article, we concluded by saying that keeping your business and personal relationships separate is very important to the survival of both your business and your marriage. In this article we will talk about how to achieve this goal.
Dance Music for the Wedding Reception
The most enjoyable part of the wedding reception is the dance music. When choosing dance music for your wedding, you need to decide if you want the services of a DJ or a band for your wedding.
Ditching a Wedding
John's cousin, Grace, is getting married in Liverpool, UK and he lives in Glasgow, UK. He does not really want to attend the wedding, weddings and such are just not his idea of a fun Saturday. He has already spent time and attended all the functions and parties over the last month that family and friends have had to congratulate her and he wants this weekend for himself.
Mens Diamond Rings ? The Ultimate Wedding Ring For The Modern Man
Mens diamond rings are becoming more and more popular with the modern man. As more men celebrate their marriage by the wearing of a wedding ring, mens diamond rings are fast becoming the new mens fashion.
Cheap Wedding Invitations
Your wedding invitations are your announcement to family and friends of your wedding date. A special day you want them to remember as the best wedding they've ever been to.
Maui Honeymoon Resorts
Each of the dozens of Maui honeymoon resorts can be considered a work of art. You are destined to discover a haven that presents everything you seek in the perfect vacation. Hawaii is one of the most popular honeymoon destinations in the world, which means a lot of expertise has gone into the design of Maui honeymoon packages.
Bridal Shower Basics
A bridal shower is an excellent way for the bride to surround herself with her closest friends and family and relax, loosen up and have some fun. The bride can also use this time to share the experiences of those that have already married, and in a general way, espouse her expectations and dreams for the new adventure she is about to enter. The bridal shower should be memorable for the bride-to-be and her guests and can be based on a particular theme, just like the wedding. Games, themes, decorations, and gifts are all important to include in the bridal shower. Many couples choose to have "couple showers," where both bride and groom are able to share the time together. Other brides choose to have their bridal showers in a creative 'themed' location ? a beautiful ocean-side resort comes to mind, for example. Using your unique ideas will help you create a distinctive setting for your event. While the goal is to have fun and enjoy the event, there are some simple plans you can follow to make your bridal shower a most memorable occasion for everyone involved.
The Beautiful Bride To Be ? Beauty Tips For The Big Day
It goes without saying that we all want to look our best for the big day. So preparation is the key. Take care of your skin, hair and body in the months leading up to the wedding and you will have a good base to start from.
Trust in Marriage
A couple should trust each other in many ways. When they meet new people they are expected to be trusted not to wonder from a marriage. Not to have an affair or become involved with anyone else. Trust in marriage is also needed when keeping finances under control. A couple should trust one another to respect each other for example when couples have a joint bank account it is on trust that you both use the account responsibly and trust that it will not be abused by either of you.
Enhancing Communication in Marriage
In marriages, many arguments and hurt feelings can be traced back to communication problems. It's not unusual for spouses to stay in a continual state of frustration, feeling misunderstood and unappreciated.
Wedding Day Hair Styles - A Top Ten Checklist
The big day is fast approaching, and the energy of themoment sweeps you up. But does it carry your hair alongtoo? Use the following checklist to ensure your wedding dayhair is everything you dream it will be:
Is Your Heart Set On An Antique Engagement Ring?
As Mark Twain said "Let us not be too particular; it is better to have old secondhand diamonds than none at all." And don't we all agree?
Wedding Flowers -- Determining What You Need
Wedding flowers make up a large part of the wedding decoration. When you talk about wedding flowers, you don't mean the flowers for the wedding reception only. Wedding flowers also include the bride's bouquet, corsages, attendants' flowers and all the other flowers you need throughout the wedding ceremony.
Should You Send Save the Date Notices To Your Guests?
You've probably heard about Save the Dates since they have become quite popular with brides but you might not know exactly what purpose they serve.
|Wedding Professionals in every state from Disc Jockeys & Photography to Wedding Invitations & Wedding Coordinators and free service including Sunset Times, Bridal Shows Wedding Planning Call us at 1-866 My Weddings|